Marketing and Communication of Tourism in Portugal
Start and end of project
2013 - Ongoing
Professor Filipa Fernandes
|Nome do Investigador||Filiação Institucional|
| Filipa Fernandes
||CAPP/ISCSP - Universidade de Lisboa
| Raquel Ribeiro
||CAPP/ISCSP - Universidade de Lisboa|
|Sónia Sebastião||CAPP/ISCSP - Universidade de Lisboa|
|Ana Sim Sim||CAPP/ISCSP - Universidade de Lisboa|
|André Bettencourt Correia||ISCSP - Universidade de Lisboa|
|Carolina Anjos||ISCSP - Universidade de Lisboa|
|Inês Bolaños Pais||ISCSP - Universidade de Lisboa|
|Laura Filipe||ISCSP - Universidade de Lisboa|
|Maria Ana Moreira||ISCSP - Universidade de Lisboa|
|Marta Moleirinho||ISCSP - Universidade de Lisboa|
|Natacha Cerdeira||ISCSP - Universidade de Lisboa|
|Priscilla Rosa||ISCSP - Universidade de Lisboa|
Tourism is one of the most important economic activities in Portugal. It has been highlighted in the news due to its impressive results since at least 2010. This sector, Portugal´s most exported, represents over 9 % of GDP and more than 8 % of employment. It is also worth noting the increasing reputation of Portugal as a tourist destination on the Internet in the first half of 201 , since the number of users who searched for the words "holidays" and "Portugal" increased by 20 % compared with the same period. The consumption of travel and tourism activities is increasingly important in global family budgets, even in the context of economic recession. This type of consumption is to be strengthened as an indicator of social integration and positioning .
Marketing and communication of Portugal as a touristic destination have undergone several changes in recent years and it is important to assess their strategy and effectiveness.
The objectives of this project are :
- To study the positioning of Portugal in the world tourism market.
- To detect promising opportunities for growth.
- To analyze the past communication campaigns in the foreign markets.
- To assess the extent to which professions related to communication and education in tourism can cooperate, in order to make Portugal a more attractive destination.
- To understand tourism as a system for producing images and representations .
- To identify processes for building touristc narratives and discourses.
- To identify the characteristic features of touristic representations, imaginary, spaces and geographic scales .
To accomplish these objectives, it is intended to:
- Compile and analyze the contents of the newsletters produced by the Tourism of Portugal and by the main incoming markets in the last 12 months.
- Monitor mentions of Portugal in the media and in user generated contents of the main t incoming markets for the Portuguese tourism, as well as in other emerging markets .
- Identify courses and conferences on marketing and communication of tourism in Portugal .
- Develop case studies.